After well managing weaning techniques, the next big step for a toddler is to say goodbye with their diapers. Most of toddlers from 18 months to 3 years old have developed physical and mental skills, so sooner or later he will be ready to use potty themselves. However, if you are ever stuck with questions “when is the right time to introduce your toddler potty training?” or “how to help your young child with potty mission?”, you may find some tips below helpful.Baby Care
Searching for signs of readiness
Being too rush to force your toddler with potty training in most cases only brings failure and stress for both of you. In contrast, a late introduce is a waste of time. So how would we know when is the right time? The key point here is to notice signs that show your toddler is ready with potty training. Actually, your child may not exhibit every signs, but to experience from 3 or more ones is clearly considered as readiness:
- He shows interest in potty such as potty chair, potty-themed books, etc. And he is willing to use potty.
- He can follow direction: to do potty training, you have to guide him step by step from sitting on potty chair to washing his hands at last. Therefore, that will be much easier if the toddler is cooperative by following your instructions or even few of them.
- He can tell you when he want to go pee or poop.
- Their diapers are dry for a longer time. It means you can predict when your toddler is going pee or poop and have a preparation for that.
- He feels uncomfortable with dirty diapers. See more our advices on diapers topic.
- He can sit still on potty chair for a few minute, because the body needs time to progress and to release all the urine from its bladder. With a very jumpy and impatient kid, advice is to hold off and wait until he can manage this skill.
- He can take off his clothes himself. That’s an important skill your toddler needs to archive in order to use potty independently.
Choose a good time to start
A “good time” hereby includes several things you should look into:
- Potty training in warmer weather of the year is certainly much more comfortable for both parent and toddler. With fewer clothes, your toddler can undress easily or even be naked and you avoid worrying somehow he could get cold.
- Any big changes or busy time in your family’s or toddler’s life are not an appropriate period to introduce potty. Parent should be available and supportive whenever toddler gets issues with potty training.
Nowadays, there are a bunch of equipment will help you with potty training mission. However, you may consider some essential tools below
- Training pants: this pant is a kind of underwear but with much more layers of cotton in the bottom. It keeps your toddler from spreading their waste all around the house. However, it still leaves feelings of wet and uncomfortableness, so provoke child’s need of cleaning up.
- Potty chair or kid-size toilet insert:
A potty chair will be helpful at the very first stage of potty training. While toddler still does not get well with potty, a potty chair is much more familiar with him at size and joyful way.
You should choose which one that your child could lean slightly forward with his feet on the ground especially while he poop. Other thing also important is that the bottom of potty chair has to be steady and stick to the floor, so it will not slip when child stands on.
At the next stage, you can put a kid-sized toilet insert upon your toilet seat. Child will learn how to use the toilet like their parent with help of a stool. This equipment is easy to clean and bring out while your family’s travelling. However, for potty training boys, parent should pay attention to choose the one without a urine guard, because there are many chances it will bump into toddler’s penis.
Be a model
Child likes to copy adult, especially their parents. So show your toddler the way yourself handle it. Explain to him step by step what are you doing and how are you doing that. Answer his questions without any hesitance. Therefore, toddler will clearly see what he should do with potty.
In addition, parent takes an important role in guiding toddler of wiping in the right direction. There are difference in wiping instruction between potty training boys and girl. For a girl, it’s a must-do to teach her to wipe from the back to front, so bacteria are not able to reach her vagina.
Make a routine
Put the potty chair at a regular place in the house
Put the potty chair at a regular place in the house. Send your toddler to potty chair or toilet whenever he show need of going for a piss or poop.
You’d better make him a plan, so his body will install natural reflex. It is recommended to have your child sit on potty chair after meals; his body tends to have a bowel movement after eating.
While your toddler makes progress, give him a reward. Anyway, the whole potty stuff is totally new and requires lot of effort of your little child. A stamp, big kid underwear, etc. or even just a compliment shows your acknowledgment and encourages him to try harder.
Editor’s suggestion: tips when toddle spits out medicine.
Take it easy
After all, no matter what how hard you tried and how cooperative your toddler is, setbacks and accidents are unavoidable. Don’t punish your toddler for having accident. If your child is not comfortable with potty training, take a break and wait until he’s ready.
In brief, there is no common formula for every child. Somehow they will nail it while they are ready in both physical and mental aspects. So don’t be upset about the progress. The best thing you can do for them is accompanying and sharing memories together, isn’t it?